Friday, April 24, 2009

The rest of the X11 books.

Apparently, I am still missing books 1, 6, 7 of the x11 series. The lead programmer just finished with his math grad school final, so he should be getting back into programming again. Hopefully books documenting x11 will make the whole coding project go much faster and not make us feel like we are digging with spoons again.

Why have I decided to go with x11, well for starters, it is what the whole thing is based on. I don't want to learn some half finished library only to find out that it doesn't do what I want anyway. At least I know what x11 does, windowing menus. So I should be able to get a better user interface with windows you can close so they don't take up the whole screen.

I asked him if he could find the books in pdf format. He mentioned that it is not free - licensed stuff for the x11 documentation. Apparently, x11 is such a huge thing that it needed a series of 8, no make that 9 books starting with book 0. I didn't realize that till now. No wonder no one else wanted to get into it and wanted to use useless stuff like python and Lua. Since the books are out of date though, they appear to be fairly cheap, although how well the whole thing will work is another matter, but x11 is supposed to be stable, just like the standard C library, one can hope anyway. The C you use today should be able to be compiled on tomarrows C compilers and not make a whole new update c.01 that is incompatable.

No comments: