Thursday, July 18, 2013

CVS follow up

Well actually, the whole cvs thing just was the fact it took a long time to show up on the sourceforge site from when it got posted to cvs.  If you want to make your sourceforge project cvs, you can't anymore.  It is depreciated.  The ironic thing is after it got depreciated, I was looking at job ads and noticed one that mentioned cvs.  Not as old as cobol, but still pretty old stuff.  So don't feel that just becuase you are working with something old, doesn't mean it is useless.

I'm not going to switch to subversion for the project just yet though, or another version control system.  First of all with subversion, the current Linux distribution I'm using is too old to keep up with the latest subversion, and I can't install the new one because I broke it a long time ago trying to get wograld to use folder permissions properly.  Note to newbies, never ever 777 your entire usr directory.   You will no longer be able to use root!  Secondly, I'm not upgrading, or removing it yet because I'm still playing a couple games that I'm not sure will work under a new distribution.  Every time you upgrade software, something that used to work good breaks.  I want to finish my save games before then. 

I've also considered using git, of course, but I'm not sure how well the whole distributed development thing will work.  One thing I always hated about git was how could I tell who's branch was the master branch.  Sure you could just get the file release, but I like to know what branch, as a developer I should start working on rather than download some bug ridden thing that won't compile.

I think I just might put that off till we have more developers anyway, and the project is a bit farther along.

No comments: