Friday, May 29, 2009

Why Quest based games are stupid.

I'm really tired of all these Quest based games. Basically, the idea behind the quest based game is this. You run around and do quests for various npcs. They have a checklist of things for you to do, like gather ten rat tails. Then they give you a prize Most of the time, it is not very good, even when it is good, it quickly loses its useage. You could fill the game up with numerious useless quests to fill up a characters quest roster. Then, after you have finished them, you are given several more.
The quest systems seems to be combined with the equally lame level system in order to keep the level grind intresting. Actually, I often feel like quest based games are too much like my life. One tends to pick up a whole bunch of them, and as soon as you stop doing quests, you find there is really nothing else to do in the game, because the rest of the game and its content wasn't filled out.
Now, I am not wholely against the ideas of npcs handing out quests. I just think that it should be a side thing rather than the whole meat and bones of the game. I do not want players to feel that they are checking off a list of things to do for some npc in town. Now, I know some people seem to like that, but then there are 99999 other games for them to play that have that sort of thing.
I think, orginally, the purpose of quests was to give an epic feel to the game, but instead of feeling like some great hero, I end up feeling like some errand boy doing stuff for the townsfolk who sit in the tavern and drink, while I am running around from dawn till dusk killing rats and other vermin.

No comments: